Monday, October 22, 2012

Books

I like reading books with a long series.

I am currently working on:

Redwall (on book # 4 Mossflower)

Eagle Series (on book # 9 The Gladiator)

Jack Aubrey (stalled at book # 4 The Mauritius Command)



I have also enjoyed the following in the past:
Forgotten Realms (D&D)
Horatio Hornblower
Richard Sharpe
Song of Fire and Ice
Honor Harrington
Temeraire
Jack Absolute



I also read lots of military history with an emphasis on the Napoleonic period and World War Two.

1 comment:

  1. I like the Patrick O'Brien sea stories, and in my view the Mauritius Command is the best of them. The the fast movingest stories, but very readable for all that, and educational too. I don't know how you feel about Alexander Kent - the stories are OK and the characterisation reasonable, but I didn't like them as much as Hornblower. However, being a bit different Douglas Reeman (Alex Kent under another name)did some quite good WW2 stories.

    Speaking of Hornblower, check out C.S. Forrester's 'The General' about a Corps Commander of WW1. Fascinating.

    If you haven't discovered them already, check out George Macdonald Fraser's 'Flashman' books - probably my all-time favorite historical series. It helps a little if you read 'Tom Brown's Schooldays' (Thomas Hughes) beforehand. The Fraser stories begin where Harry Flashman, the archvillain of the Hughes story, gets expelled from Rugby...

    If you are into children's or young adult fantasy (as I am - much better than adult fantasy, 'Game of Thrones' notwithstanding) check out Philip Reeves's 'Mortal Engines' (the central motif is municipal Darwinism...); Daniel Feintuch's 'Hope' series (the central character, Nicholas Seafort is a kind of Horatio Hornblower in space). The last of the series 'Voices in Hope' is just amazing (incredibly violent - which seems to be a trend in Fantasy in recent years). That will do for now...

    Enjoy...
    Cheers,
    Ion

    ReplyDelete