Tuesday, February 21, 2012

First Game- I Ain't Been Shot Mum

Played my first game of I An't Been Shot Mum (IABSM), the company level rules from Too Fat Lardies. Lots of fun and a great game. The rules encouraged and showcased real tactics. Cover, fire+movement, and C2 are important.

I placed a German platoon with two machineguns in a hidden defense. Set the stage for the US commander (my son) to bring on his rifle company in column of platoons. He had intel that a STUG had been knocked out by the air force (just a threat to make him worry about tanks) and that the scouts had recieved mortar fire (shell holes in the open to warn him to stay in cover).


Looking from the German side...squads placed in the orchard, the hedges, and the woods on the front right.

Some early losses when he advanced into the open on the hill. One squad shot up along with a MG team.

He started to get organized and work the flanks with a base of fire in the center.

US troops rolled up both flanks with the 3rd platoon arriving as a reserve.

After forcing a Geman squad to retreat, the US quickly moves up the flank.

While the Germans try to defend the opposite flank.

Reserves arrive...would see little action.

A squad from 1st Platton torn up by MG fire...this is the view from the MG42 in the house.

My own reinforcements...after my son added a grenadier squad and a ranger squad for each side respectively.

One German squad totally ineffective from losses and shock.

Despite buying the Flames of War books and building two forces, I never liked the rules after just a few games. I do like the size of the games (company or so per side) so I kept researching. Deciding I like card driven mechanics, I made the jump to IABSM...glad I did. Makes for a fun game, customizable, and just the right size.

I have to check a few rules as I know we made some mistakes. Looking forward to the sci-fi rules from Too Fat Lardies.

No comments:

Post a Comment